Beet Pesto Pasta
I don’t know about you, but when the weather’s starts to really heat up, I find myself being drawn to quick easy meals that are light and fresh. Now I know pasta isn’t the lightest fair on the menu but this Beet Pesto Pasta is very mild and light in flavor so it doesn’t feel as sinful and gluttonous eating this compared to other pasta dishes. The addition of the bright lemon zest also gives it a kick that screams summer.
The best part about this dish is that it can be eaten either cold or hot so on those particularly warm days you’ll have a great go-to pasta salad. This dish also be a complete meal or an accompaniment to some types of protein. With so many ways to enjoy one dish, its easy to see why this has been my go-to meal recently. Check out the recipe below and try it for yourself.
3 whole red beets (leaves and all)
5 cloves garlic (more if you like you pesto garlicky like I do)
1/2 cup whole toasted almonds
1 cup baby spinach
1/4 cup Olive Oil
1 tbsp Olive Oil (for sauteing)
1/4 shaved Parmesan
1 lemon (for zesting)
1 Shallot (chopped)
Salt and Pepper to taste (about a 1/2 tsp each)
2 cups cooked Spaghetti
For the Pesto
- Add peeled beets, garlic and almonds to a food processor or blender with a 1/8 cup of water.
- Start to blend and slowly add the 1/4 cup of olive oil.
- Blend to desired consistency. (See how chunky mine is? That’s because I like the bit of crunch from the almonds but you can blend it smooth if you’d like)
For the Pasta
- Over Medium heat, saute shallots and chopped beet leaves for 2 minutes, until tender.
- Add the beet pesto and cooked pasta and mixed. (Pasta will become purple)
- Add in spinach, salt and pepper. Continue to saute until spinach becomes slightly wilted
- Serve (hot or cold) and garnish with lemon zest and Parmesan
Recipe adapted from Tasty